June 13 - June 17, 2022
- Extend knowledge of occupational exposure to fibrous dusts used in industry (asbestos, machine made mineral fibres, carbon, etc.);
- Understand the health risks of asbestos and other fibres as well as the means of evaluation and control; and
- Learn how to apply these principals for asbestos consultants as well as OH professionals.
- Describe the composition, nature and properties of asbestos, machine made mineral and other fibres and their historical uses;
- Describe the health effects of asbestos and other fibrous materials and apply appropriate exposure limits;
- Describe the uses of asbestos in buildings and the public health risk that these may pose;
- Understand the principles of and requirements for asbestos surveys including taking samples and identifying bulk asbestos types by microscopic techniques including relevant safety requirements;
- Be thoroughly familiar with current good practice in the construction and use of enclosures for asbestos remediation and the use of decontamination units;
- Understand all the principles of clearance testing, the requirements for measurement and appropriate techniques for post remediation evaluation;
- Conduct air sampling to determine airborne concentrations of asbestos or other fibres in accordance with defined procedures including microscopic counting techniques;
- Have the ability to advise on all the various techniques for the management of asbestos in buildings in accordance with good practice.