May 23 - May 27, 2022
This course aims to enhance the student’s knowledge of occupational hygiene practice in relation to fibrous dusts. The module concentrates on asbestos, but other fibres, eg. Machine made mineral fibres, aramids, carbon etc., which are increasingly finding uses in industry are also covered.
Successful completion of this module will benefit those working in asbestos consultancy as well as in mainstream occupational hygiene, giving an understanding of the health risks associated with asbestos and other fibres as well as the means of evaluation and control.
On successful completion of this module the student should be able to:
• describe the composition, nature and properties of asbestos, machine made mineral and other fibres and their historical uses;
• describe the health effects of asbestos and other fibrous materials and apply appropriate exposure limits;
• describe the uses of asbestos in buildings and the public health risk that these may pose;
• understand the principles of and requirements for asbestos surveys including taking samples and identifying bulk asbestos types by microscopic techniques including relevant safety requirements;
• be thoroughly familiar with current good practice in the construction and use of enclosures for asbestos remediation and the use of decontamination units;
• understand all the principles of clearance testing, the requirements for measurement and appropriate techniques for post remediation evaluation;
• conduct air sampling to determine airborne concentrations of asbestos or other fibres in accordance with defined procedures including microscopic counting techniques;
• have the ability to advise on all the various techniques for the management of asbestos in buildings in accordance with good practice.
1 Asbestos and other Fibrous Materials 10%
2 Health Hazards and Exposure Limits 10%
3 Asbestos in Buildings and Conducting Surveys 25%
4 Asbestos Remediation and Assessment Prior to Reoccupation 20%
5 Air Sampling and Fibre Counting 20%
6 Analysis of Bulk Samples 15%