October 17 - October 24, 2022
This course aims to:
Provide an introduction to the principles of toxicology, physiology and epidemiology. The course will cover the main types of harmful effects to target organs from exposure to chemical hazards at work, and the hazards associated with common hazardous substances.
On completing this course successfully, the student will be able to:
- Provide definitions of commonly used toxicological terms;
- Describe the main routes by which hazardous substances can enter the body, and the factors which influence their absorption, distribution, storage and elimination;
- Describe the main sources of information on hazardous substances and processes;
- Describe the main features of the principal target organs affected by hazardous substances at work, and the factors which influence the degree of harm;
- Describe the main routes of exposure and toxic and health effects for hazardous substances commonly encountered in the workplace;
- Carry out basic interpretation of the results from epidemiological studies.
Basic Principles of Toxicology
Physiology and Target Organs
Health Effects and Industrial Processes Biological Agents (outlined as annex*)