AIHce 2019 Auxiliary Session: “Making a Difference in Global EHS”
Tuesday, May 21st, 10am -12pm
Hilton Hotel, Rochester Room, Minneapolis
The goal of this two part session is to highlight the work of seven organisations doing international occupational and environmental health and safety work with various populations – governments, employers, universities, OHS professionals, and worker and community organisations. Providing a panoramic view of the international work opportunities and challenges, supplemented by audience input to resolution and involvement, should prove a winning combination for enthusiastic engagement and future action.
The seven organisations will provide brief, thumbnail sketches of their work, identify obstacles recognised and addressed or that still remain unattended, and elicit audience input to resolution and attendee engagement. Obstacles could include technical, cultural, logistical, political, financial, or human resource considerations.
PART # 1: “Organizations With Global Impact” (60 min)
Moderator: Chris Laszcz-Davis, MS, CIH, COH, FAIHA, AIC Fellow, The Environmental Quality Organization, LLP and Co-Chair, OHTA
Process: 3 minutes to describe the organization and its activities, with 5 minutes to state group’s work obstacle(s) and problem approaches.
- IOHA, International Occupational Hygiene Association (Peter-John “Jakes” Jacob, ROH, MPH, President, IOHA/Rene Le Blanc, MSc, CRSP, ROH, Vice-President, IOHA)
- DWOI, Developing World Outreach Initiative (Richard Hirsh, MPH, CIH, FAIHA, Director, EHS, Nektar Therapeutics and DWOI Coordinator)
- WHWB, Workplace Health Without Borders (Kevin Hedges, PhD, CIH, COH, President, WHWB (International)/Marianne Levitsky, MES, CIH, ROH, FAIHA, WHWB Secretary (International))
- MHSSN, Maquiladora Health & Safety Support Network (Garrett Brown, MPH, CIH, FAIHA and MHSSN Coordinator)
- OHTA, Occupational Hygiene Training Association (Nancy McClellan, MPH, CIH, CHMM, President, Occupational Health Management, PLLC and Co-Chair, OHTA)
- AIHA International Affairs Committee (AIC) (Tom Fuller, SCD, CIH, CSP, MSPH, MBA, Associate Professor, Illinois State University, AIHA Board Rep to IOHA, Former Chair (AIC)
- AIHA International Advisory Group (Kathy Murphy, CIH, Global Director Regulatory Affairs and President-Elect, AIHA)
PART #2: “Bridging Gaps/Strengthening Partnerships” (60 min)
Moderators: Marianne Levitsky, MES, CIH, ROH, FAIHA/ Richard Hirsh, MPH, CIH, FAIHA
Process: 15 minutes period for presenters to comment/suggest on the presentations/problems of the other presenters, 30 minutes period for comments/questions/suggestions from the audience, and 10 minutes period for one-minute descriptions from each of the presenting organizations as to how audience members can get involved with their respective organization, as well as what types of activities and skills are needed.