PDC 303: The Bigger Picture of Sustainable Development Goals
CM Credit Hours: 3.5
Course Level: Introductory
Topics: Climate Change Hazards and Risks
Instructors: Andrea Hiddinga, RAH and Ms Chris Laszcz-Davis, MS, CIH, COH, FAIHA
In this PDC, we will learn about the UN's 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which were created in 2015 and adopted by 193 member states. The SDGs form an agenda, a plan of action for people, planet, and prosperity. The 2030 Agenda is universal, transformative, and rights-based. The goals represent an important international step in setting humanity on a trajectory towards sustainable development. Within this PDC, you will learn how the world came to these goals and how this agenda has become the plan of action for the development of a sustainable world. What do these 17 goals represent? How do they interact, and who are the stakeholders? While all the SDGs are essential to sustainable development, SDG 8 is the goal for "decent work and economic growth." The question for us to answer is, "What is the place of Decent Work in sustainable development?" What is the effect of influencing decent work for people's lives? What is the positive outcome of decent work for all the other interdependent goals? In this PDC, we try to create awareness of the SDGs and talk about the bigger picture of the role OH/IH can play in this transformational change and how OHs think across boundaries.
Find out more about this course here.
Register for AIHCE EXP 2022 here.
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
- Create awareness of SDGs, and the relevance of seeing the bigger picture.
- Discuss the background of sustainable development.
- Present the history of sustainable development and how this evolved to the SDG.
- Develop insight into the five basic principles that feed into all SDGs.
- Define the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and the 6 transformations.
- Identify the stakeholders and their roles.
- Leverage successful strategies for a culture change within our profession.
- Introduction on Sustainability
- Historic Overview of Sustainable Development Goals
- Exploration of the 17 Goals
- Six Transformations Needed to Achieve the SDG's
- Sustained, Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth, Full and Productive Employment and Decent Work for All
- Development of Global Occupational Hygiene Capability and Resources Help Sustainable Development
- Role of IH in Participating at the SDG
- Deploying a Change Management Initiative Effectively